The municipality of Isle-Verte is 27 kilometers from Rivière-du-Loup and 18 kilometers from Trois-Pistoles. Along the shores of the estuary, in the hilly surrounds made up of coves and headlands, there is abundant bird and aquatic animal life protected by a national animal reserve. The territory of Isle-Verte’s municipality is one of the oldest in the Lower St. Lawrence region to be colonized: a first Catholic mission was founded in 1713. Having been one of the region’s most prosperous villages for a long time, Isle-Verte has a rich architectural heritage some of which is today protected by the federal and provincial governments.
Located in the heart of a fertile coastal plain, Isle-Verte has one of the major agricultural activities within the Rivière-du-Loup MRC. In fact, there are major farmers’ cooperative installations which serve the region. The village also accommodates a few industrial businesses, in particular, in the textile domain, tools for working with wood, and lubricating products.